Court Proceedings

Hopefully, as a landlord, your tenancies will be trouble free and it will not be necessary for you to go to court.  

However, for example:

  • You may need to evict your tenant
  • You may need to get a County Court Judgment (CCJ) for rent arrears
  • Your tenant may refer your notice of rent increase to the First Tier Tribunal
  • You may be prosecuted by the authorities under the various regulations

This section has information and guides to help you.

The effect of the Coronavirus Pandemic

Notice periods for section 21 and section 8 notices have now (in England) returned to pre-pandemic levels, but you will still experience delays at Court.  This is the inevitable result of the court closures in 2020 and the delays caused by the need for social distancing at court.

Our general advice is as follows:

  • Contact the tenants and see if you can resolve things amicably between yourselves
  • If this proves difficult, try one of the mediation services
  • If agreement proves impossible and you need to evict, use solicitors
  • If you decide to act in person in eviction proceedings  – be aware that many Judges will be swift to adjourn or dismiss claims in order to reduce the burden of work on the courts and homelessness generally.  So be very, very careful and double-check everything at least three times. Be aware also that saving money on legal fees at this time could easily prove to be a false economy.

You will find a list of  our recommended solicitors here.

Tessa Shepperson

Featured Video : Doing it Yourself in the First Tier Tribunal

Webinar training


“Which Possession Proceedings?”

Find which procedure is appropriate for YOUR circumstances.

Featured Articles