Which tenancy agreement guide

WalesNote that the legal system for renting property is due to change in Wales on 1 December 2022 when the Renting Homes (Wales) Act 2016 comes into force. With effect from that date, this guide will only apply for properties in England.

Tenancy Agreements: Everyone tells you that you have to use the correct form, but how do you find which is best for YOUR needs?

Most tenancies are assured shorthold tenancies (ASTs), but this is not always the case. Even if a tenancy is an AST, there are different types, which again, should be reflected in the agreement used.

How do you know which one is appropriate for your property?

The answer is this free ‘Which Tenancy Agreement?’ guide, which by a series of questions and answers, will help you select the correct document for your tenancy type.

The answer pages will then link to pages where you can create the correct tenancy type for you – but those pages are members only!

This guide, however, is open to both members and non-members of Landlord Law. The tenancy agreements referred to are those provided by Landlord Law, but the guide will also be helpful even if you are not planning on using our agreements.

Note that the Guide does not cover commercial lettings – for example, if you are renting out office space or renting to someone wanting to run a business from the property (including subletting to other tenants). For guidance on this type of letting you will need to consult solicitors who deal with commercial property work.

If you need a solicitor you may want to use one of our  telephone advice service solicitors.