This easy to read eBook takes you through all the main areas you need to know about as a landlord. There are also links to websites where you can get more information – which you can access by clicking on the link in the ebook.
The chapters in the book are as follows:
- Landlord’s Responsibilities – a general introduction to the ebook and to landlords obligations
- Legal background – looking at how tenancies work
- Letting agents – whether you as a landlord need one, and what to watch out for when choosing one
- Choosing and checking tenants – probably the most important element of renting a property. An overview of what you need to do.
- Tenancy Agreements – why you need one and how they are not all the same
- Tenancy Deposits – an overview of the regulations and how it all works
- Rent – how to increase it and what to do if tenants don’t pay it
- Repairs – a quick look at landlords repairing obligations
- Health & Safety – an overview of the regulations you need to comply with
- Shared properties and HMOs – how joint tenancies work and an introduction to HMO law
- Eviction of tenants – a quick overview to point you in the right direction and help you avoid mistakes
- Summary and checklist – a bullet list taking you through a tenancy from start to finish
All chapters have links to recommended reading, mostly on the Landlord Law Blog, where you can find out more.
If you are a new or inexperienced landlord (or letting agent) this book is invaluable and will enable you to get a grip on the law very quickly.
If you are an ‘old hand’ you may find things that surprise you! The law is as at 30 November 2018.
“An eye-opening read! I would recommend it highly” Stephen Murray, Landlord