Local Authority Update 2022

May 6, 2022

Much as how spring is a time for cleaning in preparation for the warmer summer months, it is also the time we dust off the Local Authority Directory and update the links and information on how local councils deal with their various housing issues.

This past year we have added more information to the directory in light of conversations we have had with landlords as well as with solicitors on our monthly webinar training videos.

The Local Authority Directory’s primary function is to help landlords with quick accessible information to their area’s HMO licensing scheme. We have links regarding additional or selective licensing, fees as well as to the application form, so landlords do not have to go through the hassle of having to search through council websites themselves. Whilst some council’s websites are informative and are helpfully structured; others are not.  Hopefully, our directory will help you with this.

We have also expanded the directory to include links and advice on various other landlord issues which you may find interesting.

These include:

  • Homeless Prevention: Councils have a legal obligation to help tenants if they are at risk or facing eviction and homelessness. None of us wishes for anyone to be on the streets and homeless, so the councils have available funds, advice and personal housing plans for those who are at risk. If your tenant is at risk of eviction through rent arrears or some other issue, you may wish to inform them of this.
  • Discretionary Housing Payments: these are payments made by the council to help tenants who are struggling to pay rent or housing costs. The tenant must be on some of housing benefit or housing element of universal credit. We have placed this in our directory so landlords can help their tenants if they are unable to afford the rent.
  • Disabled Facilities Grants: This is a grant from the council if you are disabled and need to make changes to your home. Tenants can apply to this if they wish to make changes within your property. An example of this would be to install ramps or a stairlift.
  • Green Improvement Support: This is any support, advice or grants that the local council offer for energy efficiency improvements to properties. This formed the basis of a book that we wrote and published on energy improvements that details the laws, the Government targets and available schemes. More information on the book can be found here.

You can find the directory here. It can also be found at the bottom under the drop-down menu of ‘content types’ at the top of each Landlord Law page.

We have noticed that there have been a considerable number of new licensing schemes added by various authorities, so landlords should check to see if any new schemes have been set up in their area.

Not a Landlord Law member?  Find out more here.
Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin